NEWS FLASH!

John Angelico pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:02:51 +0900 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:07:03 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>>> Problem is that most of the people I know is happy with HTML mail.
>>
>>That's the sort of mindlessness that lead to the dominance of windos.
>
>Yes, Windows is dominant now, and for the foreseeable future.  HTML
>email will not go away, because MS Outlook, by virtue of the dominance
>of Windows, has created a de facto standard for HTML email.  People on
>this list can argue back and forth about the impossibility and
>irresponsibility of incorporating HTML into email because of a "lack of
>standards" or desirability, but that completely ignores the fact that a
>de facto standard has already been created by MS.  Where the front 90%
>of the trains goes, the rest is sure to follow.
>
>If denial is your thing, then by all means continue to argue about the
>viability of HTML email and the perceived lack of standards.  While
>you're doing that, the rest of the world will continue to evolve and
>grow and take on new challenges and opportunities and OS/2 will become
>increasingly irrelevant.
>
>More and more OS/2 users will be forced to migrate to Windows or other
>still evolving OS's just to be able to conduct simple business with
>their customers or exchange letters with their friends.  It's a shame
>that the only support some PMMail/2 users demand from BSW is a promise
>not to officially announce PMMail/2's abandonment, because when you ask
>for nothing, that's generally what you receive.  I've alway believed
>that in order for OS/2 to survive, it needed to keep growing and
>changing.  Maintaining the status quo will do nothing but guarantee
>even fewer users in the future.

All of this argument is based upon an (existential) assumption: what is (now), will be (forever or forseeably).

BUT there is life yet in the OS/2 camp and there are some people talking about MS being a takeover target within say
5 years.

Check out the eCS group on egroups. For example:

[Quote]
eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9067/5/_/_/_/969084645/

Today, Disneyland becomes the home of the first two publicly released
copies of eComStation (eCS) - hot off the press: serial number 00000001
and 00000002.   It was delivered along with TouchVoice's WiseTalker CTI
application generator which will be used to control certain sound
staging equipment.

Next time you stroll along Main Street USA, or watching the electric
parade, keep in mind that the music you hear is controlled by eCS and
OS/2.

BTW: The machine was a Compaq PC with all SCSI devices.   Everything
work perfectly.   The installation program worked 100%.    Excellant
work, Duane.

Kim Cheung

Marketing Director, TouchVoice Corporation, kimwaic@touchvoicecorp.com
http://www.touchvoicecorp.com
(626)288-7774x211 (voice) (626)572-8567 (fax)

Executive Director, Serenity Systems International, kim@serenity-systems.com
http://www.serenity-systems.com
(972)966-8072

[/Quote]

It won't be long, just a while more in the DOJ courtroom tangle, CofA or Supreme Court - doesn't matter which. :)

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
talldad@melbpc.org.au or talldad@kepl.com.au

PMTagline v1.50 - Copyright, 1996-1997, Stephen Berg and John Angelico
... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"