I did it! I did it! (was: Please, let me poke my eyes out...)

Gregory L. Marx pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:07:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:33:05 -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 08:12:56 -0400 (EDT), Gregory L. Marx wrote:
>
>>20+ million people use AOL ... Are they all devoid of design sense ???
>
>Um... Yes? :-)

By your use of a smiley I assume you're only half-serious ...

I don't think they are devoid of design sense ... I really believe that they just don't know any better ... or they really just haven't thought about
the issue too much ... I see alot of professionals (I work for a major law firm) where their offices are beautifully layed out and decorated very
tastefully ... and they dress with style and pizazz ...

Where does ones design flair come from ???  I think from observing what's going on around them ... in their friends dressing habits ...
magazines and newspapers, television and movies, good taste and style is all around us ... Even subconsiously we pick up on what looks good to
us ... but see, with computers and software there is none of that influence ... I wonder if a magazine dealing with nothing but good looking
interfaces, stylish software operations, etc would be a success ... I think once a users eyes are opened, and they start to realize and look at
systems and interfaces with a critical eye for design flair that's when things will start to change overall ...

For now, I think most people are so dazzled, so in awe, so stoned, with seeing what a PC and software can do that they're like little kids in a
candy store ... it's all giggles and smiles ... That's why AOL can get away with such horrid design principles ... IMO ...

Does any of this make sense to anyone else ??? It's hard to put into words ...

Greg