NEWS FLASH!

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:32:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:16:53 -0700 (PDT), I wrote:

>No, it depends on what the "functionality" is. PMMail also lacks the
>ability to remotely start my car, which is a highly useful function, but
>does not belong on an e-mail client.

Funny, I thought that the logic of being able to read HTML email in an
email client was just that -- logical.  Not being able to remotely
start you car with PMMail, however is simply a matter of your
inadequacy to the task.  Certainly the hardware and software are out
there for you to accomplish it easily.  All you'd need would be a
remote starting switch available from many automotive catalogs, and an
X-10 type receiver setup to work on 12V.  Then, you write a filter for
PMMail which, when it sees the message "Start the car", would trigger a
REXX program to tell an X-10 transmitter to send a signal to the
receiver in your car that would start the engine.  Really quite simple,
when you think about it. <g>

Of course, if PMMail lacked the complex filtering functionality that it
has, then the task might indeed be impossible.  Not everyone needs
PMMail to start their car, and not everyone needs PMMail to be able to
read HTML email, but the program is made more functional by being able
to do either one.

Ralph Cohen

rpcohen@neurotron.com