Why this phobia to HTML mail?

Larry Ebbitt pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:38:15 -0400

David Gaskill wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:21:33 -0400, Larry Ebbitt wrote:
>
> >I'm not familiar with the economics involved. I am only interested in
> >the OS/2 and Linux versions.  They can befoul the windos stuff all they
> >want.  If they can't make money with them, then they will drop them. At
> >least I hope so, rather than ruin them.
>
> Like you I am not familiar with the economics of producing OS/2 software
> but I would hazard a guess that it isn't profitable.
>
> I suppose that there is just a small chance that if the OS/2 version of
> PMMail  was  "befouled" by the addition of html capability  enough people
> might buy it to make the operation viable.

I only communicate with a very small percentage of OS/2 users, but I
get the feeling that the ones who remain are too technical and too
porductivity-oreinted to be swayed by such eye-candy.

> I get the impression that you feel that html e-mail will bring an end to
> civilisation as we know it but I see no evidence of this.

HTNL email won't bring society to an end, it will just decrease the
attractiveness (in a sense of utility) and usefulness of email. I can
see a slowly growing tendency to more and more of such time-wasting
garbage, similar to what happened to the web. The web was once a good
place to find information, occasionally with links to similar content.
Now, it's like walking through the "adult" entertainment part of town,
with ugly flashing lights and less and less useful information.

> Large numbers use this application,with or without html formatting,
> because it enables them to communicate with other people; if it didn't they
> wouldn't.

Many people use windos, with a little success, but it is still excrement.
The same is true for IE.  Most people who use it just don't know any better.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta