Why this phobia to HTML mail?

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:28:27 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:06:19 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>There is no body that issues RFCs for the English language; it evolves,
>usage and conventions change and a lexicographers record these changes

Humans are "learning machines" that initially take the definition
of their native language entrirly from how they hear it used during
their first couple of years of life!  Subsequently they continue to
learn and adapt their definitions for the rest of their lives!

We are all quite able to deal with this!  However if one person grows
up in Germany (who learns one set of language rules) and another in
China (who learns a different set), they will not be able to
communicate effectively (though eventually they might be able to
learn one another's languages).

Computer software cannot learn how it should behave, and even if it
could, it would not be an appropriate behaviour for communication
software such as an email client or server.

Communications software has to work according to the same set of
pre-arranged documented rules (aka standards), else it's no longer
communicationss software, its mis-communications software!

Simon