OT: Evolution

Rodney R. Korte pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:55:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:00:46 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>>Evolution always means events moving in a certain direction or
>>toward a certain end.

>No it most certainly does not! If it did, you'd be able to predict
>where evolution "is going" and you can't!

Really?  I did not define it as "moving in a *known* certain
direction".  In addition to the previous definition I posted,
Webster also defines it as "a process of change in a certain
direction".  The idea in all the definitions is that evolution
describes 'something' changing from its current existence into
that of another.  The new existance need not be known for this
to be true.

I think that is pretty clear if you pick an example, say
full cell.  I think we can all agree that this technology
is evolving, correct?  But does anyone know where it is going?

If you are without a paper desk reference, www.brittanica.com,
has the Merriam-Wester dictionary online.

Rodney
--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.