OT: Evolution

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:54:28 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:55:30 -0400 (EDT), Rodney R. Korte wrote:

>>>Evolution always means events moving in a certain direction or
>>>toward a certain end.

>>No it most certainly does not! If it did, you'd be able to predict
>>where evolution "is going" and you can't!

>>Really?  I did not define it as "moving in a *known* certain
>direction".

Duh! It moves in a certain (but unknown) direction? [or it moves tworads
a certain (but unknown) end?]

>If you are without a paper desk reference, www.brittanica.com,
>has the Merriam-Wester dictionary online.

I do not go to dictionaries for the definitions of scientific terms,
they are usually unreliable and often 10+ years out of date!

I am an avid reader of New Scientist and SciAm, and and have read
several books on evolution/genetics including most of Dawkins' and
I stand by my assertions:

If evolution "means events moving in a certain direction or
toward a certain end" you *must* be able to identify the "direction"
or "end" if you can't, the statement cannot be shown to be true and is very
likely to be false!  If you can, you can make predictions!  Ain't
logic a wonderful thing?

Simon