Why this phobia to HTML mail?

Brian Morrison pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:57:33 +0100

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:55:21 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:33:00 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>MS simply think that weight of numbers is all
>>that's needed to run roughshod over these RFCs
>
>Haven't they proven time and again that they are able to do exactly
>that?  When my customers send me messages using HTML email or carrying
>MSWord7 documents, do you think it would be prudent of me to politely
>refuse them and point out that they are practicing unsafe email by
>using means or containing content not standardized by RFCs?

In a business you must act as you see fit Ralph. As a business user
myself I set up Outlook to send straight ascii in 72 column width, it
doesn't half annoy some of my contacts. When they complain I tell them
why I do it, and nearly all of them know that they will not get me to
change. I have never come across anyone who was upset enough to decide
not to email me again, they know I have been on the net for a lot
longer than most of them and accept that I have a rather puritan
attitude to internet standards. Those that have met me tell me that
they wouldn't feel safe arguing about this subject with me in person
;-)

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails