Why this phobia to HTML mail?

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:04:51 -0300

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:14:01 -0400 (EDT), Skip Huffman wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:29:56 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:
>
>>This is exactly the point I was trying to make; lexicographers simply record
>>they do not initiate. They do not issue RFCs for words - they simply record,
>>common usage. A dictionary is a record not a standard.
>
>True(except in france), but until they do so a word is

And Germany. The Germans actually legislated new, more consistent and
easier (for foreigners learning German) spellings a few years ago. No
kidding. I actually have a Collins Pocket German Dictionary with a
"New - with the latest spellings" headline on its cover. (I have been
trying to learn German for a few years.)

Unlike the French (who I believe do their language bigotry out of
xenophobia in general), the Germans may actually succeed (or may
already have succeeded) and I believe their motives are pure. (Not
that some Germans aren't xenophobic as much as some French and some
Canadians are, just that in this one issue I believe various
french-speaking governments are operating on bad motives.)

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor