OT: Evolution

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:17:26 -0300

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:54:28 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>If evolution "means events moving in a certain direction or
>toward a certain end" you *must* be able to identify the "direction"
>or "end" if you can't, the statement cannot be shown to be true and is very
>likely to be false!  If you can, you can make predictions!  Ain't
>logic a wonderful thing?

incorrect.

if you look at it in retrospect, you can identify the certain
direction it was progressing in. That does not mean that you can
predict it in the future. Therefore it is progressing in a certain
direction at all times (and possibly many), and regardless of our
ability to predict it, we can still affirm it after the fact.

Not that I'm saying evolution unpredictable, but I doubt it is
predictable by current scientific methods.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor