Java Performance/Python etc

John Thompson pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:26:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:20:42 -0400 (EDT), Rodney R. Korte wrote:

> It is absolutely amazing to me the number of
>people who "do" Java (and are even serious programmers) that don't
>understand how it does things, and that it really doesn't do anything
>that couldn't be done before.  People actually sell ideas by saying
>that Java can do this or that, and implying that it can't be done
>with other languages ("platform independence" is an example of this).

Perhaps "platform independence" can be accomplished with other tools, but
java certainly makes it easy and transparent to the end user. Eg, I can
install the same java program for say, polarbar mailer, in linux, OS/2,
windows; in short anyplace that has a compliant java vm, and have it run
right away without any modification.  perl, python and other tools are
pretty portable as well, but I always seem to have to tweak something or
other (usually environment stuff) to make them work.  With java, I just
drop it in and it runs.

John (john.thompson@attglobal.net)