Blocking IP address

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:57:11 -0700

Tuesday, September 19, 2000, 8:00:49 PM, Dr. wrote:
> As I read this the mail was blocked not because of spamming by Sarras
> but because the IP address has been blacklisted, possibly from MAPS
> or ORBS.   There is a procedure to get on and get off the list, and
> your history will be documented if you are on it.   Go to:

    If it were MAPS or ORBS (Isn't ORBS depreciated now?) I'd be on a LOT more
blocked lists including several people that I mail on a daily basis.
Furthermore it was from two separate SMTP servers.  One was the one for
rpglink.com/dmiyu.org, the other was internal to Earthlink.  If the ELNK
server were on MAPS or ORBS I'd know because of the volume of mail and talent
behind that one as well.  :)

> If you can't get through to <postmaster> try <root>.    If that fails,
> do a lookup for the owner.   If that fails, run a trace route and contact
> their upstream.

    Nah.  If postmaster is blocked the rest are blocked because the dimwit
running the server doesn't read his RFCs.  Considering the owner and upstream
are in a different country than me and this is not a professional list (IE,
out of my own pocket) I'm not about to make international calls to resolve
someone else's broken mail configs.

> FYI it is not at all unusual for postmaster to be blocked or even not
> enabled.  I run into it frequently.

    Regardless, RFC822 is clear on that matter.

   6.3.  RESERVED ADDRESS

          It often is necessary to send mail to a site, without  know-
     ing  any  of its valid addresses.  For example, there may be mail
     system dysfunctions, or a user may wish to find  out  a  person's
     correct address, at that site.

          This standard specifies a single, reserved  mailbox  address
     (local-part)  which  is  to  be valid at each site.  Mail sent to
     that address is to be routed to  a  person  responsible  for  the
     site's mail system or to a person with responsibility for general
     site operation.  The name of the reserved local-part address is:

                                Postmaster

     so that "Postmaster@domain" is required to be valid.

     Note:  This reserved local-part must be  matched  without  sensi-
            tivity to alphabetic case, so that "POSTMASTER", "postmas-
            ter", and even "poStmASteR" is to be accepted.

    "This standard specified a single, reserved mailbox address (local-part)
***which is to be vali at each site.***  Mail sent to that address ***is to be
routed to a person responsible for the site's mail system or to a person with
responsibility for general site operation.***

    Emphasis mine, of course.  But those two lines say, in short, postmaster
must be valid, must be accepted, must be routed.  Blocking postmaster fails
the third directive.  :)