[pmmail-list] fetchtime ? - Probable explanation

Ulrich Jakobus pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:50:34 +0200

Hi,

I was also a couple of years ago frustated by the incorrect
treatment of TZ settings in Windows using PMMail, Infozip's
zip and unzip, and also RCS, the revision control system.
My experience in this regard:

 a) Setting TZ=CET-1CED-2,M3.5.0,M10.5.0 for Central Europe
      PMMail is correct
      RCS puts in correct timestamps
      zip/unzip have a 1 hour offset when DST becomes active
      (this is only relevant if one zips e.g. on Win32 and
      unzips on another system or in another timezone)

 b) Not setting TZ at all
      PMMail is correct
      zip/unzip are correct
      RCS is wrong (this can however be corrected by applying
      a patch to the source and setting RCSTZ=CET-1CED-2,M3.5.0,M10.5.0)

Therefore I am using b) and everything is correct. The mail below
also suggests to use option b), but claims that then the timestamps
in zip/unzip are wrong, which I cannot confirm. I am daily transfering
zip files across many Windows/UNIX systems in different timezones all
over the world, and since this is source code the timestamps are very
critical for the make process. Not setting TZ on Win32 and using zip 2.2
and unzip 5.41 (precompiled Win32 executables from e.g.
ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/infozip/WIN32/) works for me.

Bye,

Ulrich