[pmmail-list] fetchtime ? - Probable explanation

Paul Ratcliffe pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:19:58 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:16:26 +0200, Michael Gerdau wrote:

>- PMMail is 1 hour off when there is provided a TZ. I have further
>  investigated this and found the following:
>  - Cygnus tools and everything compiled with gcc does correctly
>    conform to POSIX w/r to handling TZ.
>  - IBM VAC does correctly handle it's own format. The first 3 fields
>    are the same as POSIX.

As far as I could tell, I had a problem with a program I wrote myself
in VAC++, but only between 1am and 2am on April 1st. I know this
program is written properly as I was very careful about this part of
the design.
It seems that virtually every compiler library has bugs in it regarding
this timezone stuff, therefore every application will have bugs.
There is not a lot the application writers can do about it.
It is quite frankly a nightmare. I suspect a lot of it is to do with
some stupid default behaviour tied in with American conventions - after
all, they think they invented time.