[pmmail-list] ~Re: PMMail/2... other issues

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:53:56 +0000, raphaelt@att.net wrote:

>1) I'm having a hard time getting batchfiles to
>run under MIME associations.  I can't remember if
>I've ever gotten this working, but -- what I'd
>most like to do is use "antiword" to translate
>Word files into something else.  I've got a
>batchfile called "antiword2.cmd" that contains the
>following:

Cmd files under OS2 are text-based files interpreted by the Rexx
interpreter. Only binary application executables can be specified and run
by MIME association. In your MIME association you can specify
/antiword.exe/ but not a Rexx cmd file that calls it.

>ANTIWORD.EXE -t %1
>>F:\SOUTHSDE\ATTCH\e-z_word\stink.txt
>start/f e.exe F:\SOUTHSDE\ATTCH\e-z_word\stink.txt
>
>Under MIME associations in PMMail I've created one
>called "Word files."  Under "Program to execute"
>is the fully qualified path/filename; under
>"Arguments" is %s.  The "Working Directory" is the
>location of the batchfile; program type is OS/2
>Window.

You can only use MIME association if you provide the content-type
contained in the message and the attachment file extension to associate
with /antiword.exe/.

>Every time I double click on a *.doc attachment, I
>get a popup:
>
>Couldn't start external program.
>
>rc==191
>
>Please check external program settings and try the
>operation again

OS2 is telling you that /antiword.cmd/ is not a valid binary application
executable.
For your situation you can do one of the following:
1. You can change your MIME association to execute /antiword.exe/. This
would require that you also provide the content-type contained in a
message with a Word file attachment AND the file extension such as DOC.
This, however may cause PMMail to launch /antiword.exe/ for an attachment
that may not be a Word document.

2. Use PMMail's Rexx Receive Hook or User Rexx Hook to call your
/antiword.cmd/ rexx file. A Rexx Receive Hook would call your rexx file
for every message retrieved in a fetch cycle. This would slow down receipt
of messages and your rexx file would need to factor in messages with no
attachments or non-Word attachments. User Rexx Hook can be used in
conjunction with either an Incoming or Manual filter. The filter would
need to check something unique to messages containing Word file
attachments.

>2) The other is a scary reprise of an old PMMail/2
>glitch.
>
>I was playing around (trying various ways of
>getting the antiword batchfile to work) and
>suddenly all the messages disappeared from my
>inbox folder -- and all the rest of them in the
>same account, too.  I tried reindexing the folder,
>but still it came up empty.  I quit PMMail
>immediately, and look at the directories via FC/2,
>and sure enough, there the messages were.

If the actual message files exist then most likely the folder.ini or
folder.bag file(s) have been corrupted. Close PMMail, try deleting the
folder.bag file in the effected folder, restart PMMail and if necessary -
reindex.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris