[pmmail-list] PMMail and network security issue.

Maynard Riley pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:51:39 -0500 (CDT)

I studied this issue at some length many months ago, and will gladly
report some results here.

PMMail/2 v2 sends a HELO argument which can be controlled by your HOSTS
file for whatever IP you're using [\mptn\BIN\SETUP.CMD]. Perhaps if it
doesn't find it there it looks elsewhere, presumbaly HOSTNAME in
config.sys

I'm also running Weasel, which of course also sends a HELO argument;
though I haven't cared where it finds the value for this purpose, I
presume that it is one of the two sources mentioned above.

In either case, the entry of that information into email headers is
under the sole control of the SMTP program which receives the message,
be it from PMMail or from Weasel or from Sendmail or whatever.

Weasel will add this into the Received line which it generates, when
you use PMMail to send to Weasel, and Weasel to send it outside.

Changing the value used in your local HOSTS file shouldn't affect other
users on the local network; and would be the easiest way to control the
PMMail HELO output.

hth,

	`~Maynard