[pmmail-list] Quoting

Rodney R. Korte pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:39:22 -0400

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:14:08 -0400, Gene Gough wrote:

[...]

>BUT, if someone can give me a technical or other GOOD reason I should remove the = from my quoted
>characters, let me know and I will consider it.  So picky, picky, picky... GRIN

Of course, "GOOD" is in the eye of the beholder, but IMO, only ONE character is
required, and therefore one should be used.  Which character to use is worthy of
discussion, and most people would agree that it shouldn't be alphanumeric; something
like ">", which actually "points" the reader to someone else's statement.  Both
of these conventions are what the majority of people use; therefore when
you insert something strange, it makes your point harder to ascertain.

>On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:30:51 +0200, Gunnar Anzinger wrote:
>
>=>> > In case you (Kenneth Porter) want a newsgroup, please stop quoting
>=>> > with the equal sign. It doesn't add anything useful to your messages,
>=>> > on the contrary. And in newsgroups it will draw a lot of flames
>=>> > against you for violating the netiquette.

For example, in the above, how many levels of quotes are there?  I happen
to know that you use "=>" since this is what we are discussing, but I might
just as easily conclude that you use "=>>" or that I use ">=>" or ">=".

Rodney

--
Rodney R. Korte
Applied Research Laboratory