[pmmail-list] Newsgroup vs. Webboard

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:59:26 -0700

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:14:08 -0400, Gene Gough wrote:

>Yet another reason to stay away from news groups.  Not that they don't like any netiquette but >their own, but that they tend to flame much more.

OTOH, flames can easily be ignored on a newsgroup, and a good
newsreader will have buttons for killing flame threads and the flamers
that create them. PMMail lacks a "plonk" button for that. I tend not to
notice flaming in newsgroups because either the subject lines are
easily recognized and skipped (by entire thread) or the flamers are in
my killfile.

I read a web board on http://www.techrepublic.com (discussion of
network administration articles) and there are occasional flame wars,
esp. in Linux vs. Windows threads. Because of the awkward interface, I
can't easily collapse and ignore flame threads within larger
discussions, so I end up tossing the whole discussion.

>And who is it that sets up the "netiquette"?

In public newgroups, the participants, as you would expect in a
decentralized anarchy. In private newsgroups (eg. a support group on a
private server), it's generally the server's admin.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]