[pmmail-list] PMMail 2.20 as a bulk mailer?

Frank Winkler @home pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:30:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:06:43 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

 >On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:25:30 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
 >
 >>Which reminds me, it would be nice to be able to send to only the Bcc
 >>list, and either leave To empty or with only a dummy name. Currently I
 >>put myself in the To item just to make PMMPro happy.
 >
 >Ken, I don't think it is conformant to Internet standards to have a
 >blank To: field. If the To: field contains a dummy name, the server
 >will bounce it back to you.

That's not correct, Trevor. The server doesn't care about the contents of the
mail body, part of which the "To" field actually is. To satisfy SMTP
requirements, we just have to give a valid recipient in the SMTP envelope
("RCPT TO:") but there are many mail clients which support some kind of
"undisclosed recipients" and that's what I also already asked for :) ...

You now may ask whom we should add as the dummy recipient. Well ... I don't
think anyone has a problem is this is the own address (in the envelope) but the
interesting thing is that this is not visible in the "To" field.

Regards