[pmmail-list] A good email client for Linux

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 05 Aug 2001 21:13:01 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:07:41 +0200, Manfred Usselmann wrote:

>It's free and can handle APOP. Don't know about XTND XMIT, what is this

First, thanks for a lead, Google comes up with some weird ideas of what
matches Linux email client APOP !

XTND is the POP3 extension prefix as defined in RFC1082.
the XMIT command is to allow a POP3 server to accept an outgoing
message.

Because POP3 is authenticated (in my case by APOP = encrypted) the
pop3d can accept the message and passes it to the local smtpd. Because
the pop3d is local the smtpd can send the message anywhere and not be
seen as an open relay.

Another way to be mobile is to use POP before SMTP. i.e. pick up mail
before sending. This way the POPd tells the SMTPd your IP address and
that gets a window in time to send and your SMTP server will not tell
you to "Rack off, nasty spammer!" My server does not have this
facility.

If I need to I can write some code to monitor a logon to a special POP
account that will write my IP address into the OK relay list and zap it
some time later. That will be my way around the lack of XTND XMIT if
needed. It is a messy kludge tho'!

Hope this adds to your store of clues. It's how the smarts spread. Hope
it is useful to you or a lurker. ~|^