[pmmail-list] POP before SMTP

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 05:17:14 -0700

On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 21:13:01 +1000 (EST), Rod... Whitworth wrote:

>If I need to I can write some code to monitor a logon to a special POP
>account that will write my IP address into the OK relay list and zap it
>some time later. That will be my way around the lack of XTND XMIT if
>needed. It is a messy kludge tho'!

Which MTA and POP3 server are you using? I use sendmail and qpopper,
and use an intermediate facility called DRAC for POP-before-SMTP. DRAC
provides an RPC interface for POP3 servers. The POP3 server hands the
IP to DRAC to record in a database with an expiration timestamp, and
sendmail has a rule to consult the database. DRAC also runs detached
and periodically cleans old entries from the database (eg. older than
30 minutes).

If you run qpopper on Red Hat or a derivative, I have SRPM's for it and
DRAC at http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/SRPMS/.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]