[pmmail-list] Error 10061

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 04:42:41 -0700

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:25:25 -0400, Lane P. Lester wrote:

>...but PMMail still gets the Error 10061!

Did a Google search on the code and it says this means "connection
refused". That means that you're reaching some server on some port and
it's sending back a packet to reject the connection. This is a very
low-level TCP thing and would affect telnet and any other program just
as much as PMMail, so I suspect PMMail is not connecting to the right
port. This is exactly the symptom you'd see if you tried to telnet to a
port with no service listening.

>And I feel like I should remind all of you kind people thinking about
>this: PMMail =has= worked for me before in Win 2000. And even now,
>although PMMail and Opera cannot fetch the mail, The Bat and Netscape
>can.

Any chance you have an extra space or other invisible character in
either the server name or port number? Could be that PMMail doesn't
clean the string before parsing it and you're connecting to the wrong
server or port. This is where some kind of packet sniffer (like OS/2's
IPTRACE or Linux's tcpdump) would really be handy in Windows, so we can
see what address and port PMMail is attempting to connect to. (It would
also  help if PMMail had a debug mode that logged some details about a
connection attempt, like IP address and port and the complete
conversation with the server. I believe OE has this.)

Try completely erasing the server name and port number, closing the
program (to purge the value on disk), and then restarting PMMail and
re-entering the values.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]