[pmmail-list] Error 10061

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:30:04 -0700

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:49:28 +0200 (CDT), Winfried Tilanus wrote:

>Well, I just had something that *might* have been a bright moment: Is
>it possible something goes wrong resolving the pop server? Different
>programs under different operating systems may handle it differently
>(caching etc). It is the only way I can understand this.

Most programs under Windows use the same OS-supplied resolver library.
However, starting with Win2k, there's a new DNS "client server" which
is really just a caching-only DNS server. Few programs do their own
DNS. That's only really needed if you need to query records other than
A and PTR. A mail server might do so to get MX records, but a mail user
agent doesn't need those, and depends on the server to do such things.
A clever MUA might use SRV records to find the POP3 and SMTP server for
a domain, but I know of none that do.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]