[pmmail-list] Error 10061

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 11:36:44 -0700

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 13:37:06 -0400 (EDT), Lane P. Lester wrote:

>In light of your conversation with Winfried, I might add that both the
>IP and DNS is done by my ISDN router, not W2K (or OS/2). The DNS
>addresses are only in the router's memory.

Not true. When you enter a name, your client (eg. PMMail) calls
gethostbyname to convert it to an address. That function ultimately
sends a DNS query with a name to your DNS server (eg. your router)
which forwards it if necessary, and then an answer with the address
comes back and gets fed back to the progam. There's usually a tiny
cache in the OS to reduce back-to-back lookups of the same name. This
is the same in both Windows and OS/2.

With Win2k, you have the option of running a client DNS service. This
is really just a DNS server that doesn't serve any records of its own.
It just caches name-to-address associations, reducing the traffic to
your DNS server (ie. your router).

If the problem *is* DNS, try replacing the server name with its address
in PMMail. (You can use nslookup from the command line to look up the
address.)

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]