[pmmail-list] Error 10061

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:37:46 -0700

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:59:36 -0400, Lane P. Lester wrote:

>My impression is that it doesn't matter whose name servers you use.

For looking up others' names, you should either use your ISP's server,
or run your own caching server (which always queries authoritative
servers, and doesn't ask someone else's server to do the work for him).
At home I use my @Home nameserver for this. In the office, I have a
Linux server set up as a caching nameserver.

>Is it a good idea to have name servers in different subnets?

Yes. If a router goes out, you can still look up names in the domain
using a different name server.

>Are there super-reliable name servers that are recommended over those
>that a particular ISP gives you?

Two free services: http://www.zoneedit.com/ (I use this one) and
http://secondary.com/ (run by the people who bring you the BIND name
server). I serve my zone from my own host through 2 different ISP's,
and use Zone Edit to get 2 slave servers in different subnets. That
makes my domain available through 4 completely different addresses.

BTW, saw a bunch of attempts to look up my address Sunday night from
1stconnect.com. Was that you? Not a problem if it was, I'm just curious
what you learned.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]