[pmmail-list] Breakthrough!

Lane P. Lester pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 17:43:09 -0400

I whined on several lists about not being able to fetch/send mail in
Win 2000 with either PMMail or Polarbar Mailer. I appreciate very much
all of your efforts to help. Many suggested tests were carried out,
and the main result was my inability to ping anything successfully.

Two people suggested the possibility of the protocol stack being
destroyed:

John also said:

> Lane, instead of trying a reinstallation, how about removing TCP/IP and the nic
> card (in that order) and reinstalling both (in the reverse order - nic then
> protocol

That sounded good to me, so I did it and have good results to report.
I can now ping myself, my router, and weather.yahoo.com. I ran a
traceroute to weather.yahoo.com, and it behaved normally.

However, much to my shock, the two email clients (PMMail and Polarbar
Mailer), =still= report the same failure to connect, while the fact
that you are reading this message shows that The Bat is still
functioning as it has been throughout this episode. PMMail gives a
10061 error, and Polarbar's log says:

8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT: FixupPath:  Found absolute path or /MailData in: \MailData\SpeedFactory\sent
8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT: SentFolder: resolveSentFolder()  Final folder is \MailData\SpeedFactory\sent
8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT: OutgoingMessages:
8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT: H:\Common\PolarBar\Mailer\MailData\SpeedFactory\outbox\18Q50P51.POP
8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT: FixupPath:  Found absolute path or /MailData in: \MailData\SpeedFactory\sent
8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT:  isAbsolute: \maildata\speedfactory\sent returning false
8/26/01 5:25:05 PM EDT: ConnectSocketThread.run caused:
(there is nothing beyond this point)

At least I can connect to the Internet at a fundamental level; now to
find out why the email clients are still having trouble.

Lane
____
Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia