[pmmail-list] Today's Oxymoron: PMMail Support

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:18:36 -0400

On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 00:30:15 -0500 (EST), Carl Gehr wrote:

> But, the total silence is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Here is my statement (at the risk of getting canned since I have not
been authorized to make it):

Peter was hired largely because he could work on both the Windows and
OS/2 code. Clearly the OS/2 version continues to be worked on.
However, a complete rewrite of the code would be necessary to bring
the two versions into feature parity and to allow concurrent
development. This has not happened yet and I have not been told of
any decision to make it happen. I do not believe it will happen in
the foreseeable future because Peter's time is already taken up
dealing with bug fixes and new features. Yes, the OS/2 version
continues to have bugs fixed and is currently at the same beta level
as the Windows version (v2.20.2380).

I do not know of any firm date for a new "GA release" for Windows or
OS/2. The beta versions are stable enough that I use them for daily
work and have done so for years. I can not recommend that everyone do
so, but that is my practice.

In the absence of any more official promises I would recommend that
those of you who are content with the product as it is continue to
use it happily. Those of you who are not content with the product as
it is please continue to report its shortcomings to myself and/or
Jimmy. We are listening and will pass things along to Peter. He will
fix them and/or add features as resources allow.

I can not deliver a list of upcoming features nor can I make promises
that anyone's feature request or bug will be fixed at any given date.

Those are the realities as I see them. That's all I have to say. If
it's not enough of a status report, I apologize, but that's it.

End of my statement.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support