[pmmail-list] Thin Exchange Watchdog?

Paul Hodges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:40:38

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:22:13 -0600, Dave Hathaway wrote:

>  I have 256MB, but how much is enough?  I should tolerate 1 minute load
>  times and 20MB of valuable memory gone in order to experience the
>  alledged wonders of Outlook taking up space?  It is more efficient to
>  just turn Outlook off and efficiency appeals to the engineer in me.

The engineer in me doesn't worry about things like this.  You may
well not often be using all 256Mb, but if you are, then the pages
occupied by Outlook will be reused, as there is a copy being held in
the swap file - which already exists anyway.

Result: having Outlook open has no material effect on the operation
of your system, and you don't have to spend time looking for
solutions to a non-existent problem - this appeals to my engineering
instincts.

Paul Hodges
QBS Software

(with both Outlook and PMMail permanently open in his 128Mb desktop
at work)