[pmmail-list] Thin Exchange Watchdog?

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:17:49

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:40:38, Paul Hodges wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:22:13 -0600, Dave Hathaway wrote:
>
>>  I have 256MB, but how much is enough?  I should tolerate 1 minute load
>>  times and 20MB of valuable memory gone in order to experience the
>>  alledged wonders of Outlook taking up space?  It is more efficient to
>>  just turn Outlook off and efficiency appeals to the engineer in me.
>
>The engineer in me doesn't worry about things like this.  You may
>well not often be using all 256Mb, but if you are, then the pages
>occupied by Outlook will be reused, as there is a copy being held in
>the swap file - which already exists anyway.
>
>Result: having Outlook open has no material effect on the operation
>of your system, and you don't have to spend time looking for
>solutions to a non-existent problem - this appeals to my engineering
>instincts.

Exactly my point. Once Outcast is loaded and running it tends to be OK
if you don't cause extreme swapping. It's quicker to use it than to try
and find a solution that works with all those proprietary M$ protocols.

A while back I bought a gig of RAM, it cost me less than 87 GBP, so
about $125. I would imagine you could add another 256M for a very small
outlay if it were necessary.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails