[pmmail-list] Bcc problem with hotmail etc.

Dave in Phoenix pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:41:47 -0700

I run a very private E-mail list with weekly updates going to about 700
subscribers. It is free but taking a lot of time.   I have been sending
bcc.  But many folks using some ISP's (90% problem is hotmail accts) never
receive and I get no bounce, they simply evaporate.

It seems some ISP's to prevent spam are evaporating messages or direct them
to a separate junk mail box if the TO: address is not the user.  Some folks
using hotmail say they find it in a separate junk mail box, but others say
they have no junk mail box and are not receiving them at all.

About 5 years ago I briefly converted a much larger 3000 free member list
for Liberated Christians somehow to a listserve which solved my previous
"blowing the bcc buffer" problem where mail evaporated. Soon after that we
did all updates on the website libchrist.com and stopped the E-mail list.

On my current much more private list, (for sexwork.com's Phoenix private
list) I am considering using a listserve but I have about 15 different sub
address books set up for different purposes. When I export to csv format I
can't seem to export just one address book but ALL the books get combined
into one huge CSV file which include far more folks than just the private
address sub book I want to send to.  Actually I have the 700 list split
into two of about 350 each still concerned about my old "blowing the bcc
buffer" problem I was told was a problem many years ago.

There is a message filter to "distribute to address book".  Since I don't
really want to try it sending junk mail to everyone, I wonder if:

1) Will it send again to ALL address books since doesn't seem per the help
file to be able to select which address book.
2) If I could send to just one sub book, would the messages be individually
addressed TO: each person, but again separate messages so  no one sees the
other addresses?

Or am I overlooking some easier solution?  I assume the trend may be for
more ISP's to create the problem trying to prevent spam but making bcc
replies less of an option.   In addition some ISP's are preventing open
relays - which was evan a worse problem where since my address
dave@davephx.com is my own domain not using the same ISP as my E-mail ISP
(cox cable) many messages rejected.  But as I understand it Cox
reconfigured their smtp server to "fool" ISP's to think it wasn't an open
relay so I no longer have much of that problem.  However there are a couple
ISP's that seem to not be fooled and reject my messages due to open relay
but its rare.

Thanks for any input...
Dave in Phoenix