[pmmail-list] Is it possible to edit the subject of incoming messages ?

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 04 Feb 2001 16:39:47 +0100 (MEZ)

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:35:43, Xav wrote:

> Thanks.  I should have realised earlier that it was an OS/2 PMMail
> feature.

  No, this is a PMMail feature which works as well under Win32. Just
the naming is a bit different, what in OS/2 is called "REXX Exit" is
called "User hook" in the Windows versions. OS/2 has that one big
advantage of having REXX delivered with the OS. BTW, there are
several REXX implementations for Windows, too.

  But note, the program called does not need to be written in REXX,
you can write it in C, or Pascal, or COBOL, if you so wish and the
program can retrieve the file name of the message to be worked on as
the first parameter from the command line.

> At present I use Windows because of the lack of drivers for
> USB ADSL that I know have and before that, the lack of OS/2 drivers for
> internal ISDN cards.

  For ADSL there are three different solutions, one is ISDNPM, the
second is SafeFire PPP, and the third one is F/X FireWall or
freestanding PPPoE from the makers of InJoy. ISDNPM is, as you may
guess, originally a software just for ISDN cards, mainly internal
ISDN cards. SafeFire PPP is in Beta for the inclusion of CAPI 2.0 in
its product.

  So no need at all to switch to Windoze just because of ISDN or DSL,
on the contrary...

>  I bought PMMail for OS/2 when it came out in the
> days of modem use :-))

  Coming back to the question of changing the Subject: line in the
header ... while it is possible to do that with the REXX programs (or
other programs modeled after them), you will be disappointed that the
Subject: entry in the message list of the folder won't reflect this
change. Using the "SetSubject" action in the filter does not help
either, it will assing a fixed value to the Subject: entry.

   I do use as a workaround this procedure:
   1) terminate PMMail;
   2) look up the directory which contains the folder you look for;
   3) edit the FOLDER.BAG file and delete the entries for the
messages with the unchanged Subject: entries;
   4) restart PMMail;
   5) open the folder which we talk about;
   6) select REINDEX FOLDER from the folder context menu;

   My feature suggestion for this is to introduce an Action for the
filter which might be called "RESCAN MESSAGE" or something elese to
that effect, and which causes PMMail to rescan the message headers to
reset the entries in the folders index.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main