[pmmail-list] ~Re: Download progress meter?

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:38:04 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:31:15 +0100 (MEZ), Andreas Ludwig wrote:

>Yeah. Sure. Believe me, I know how to use these features.
>What I wanted to say was: If a message is too large to be downloaded,
>it will stay on the server and you will not receive any message that
>there is a messages not downloaded because of its size. So you have to
>check the account(s) regularly using the remote control - which defeats
>the idea of checking accounts automatically to some extent.
>So I suggest to give the user either a possibility to skip large
>messages during download (so I know I skipped a message) or at least
>inform the user that a message has been skipped automatically.

How would you like to be informed that a message has been skipped? The
observant user will notice in the bottom status bar during a fetch cycle
the current message number being retrieved followed by the total new
messages (ie 1 of 10). At the close of the fetch cycle, the status
indicates total messages retrieved. If this total does not equal total new
messages then a message was skipped. Using remote control once per day
should be way more than sufficient to take care of large messages skipped.
Of course, my last statement depends on your definition of large message.
I automatically accept messages up to 30k.

PMMail currently lets me automatically retrieve messages while I'm
connected to my ISP up to a limit I specify and then lets me check the
bigger messages when it is convenient for me. No software is idiot proof.
If I tell PMMail to fetch all messages without limits it will do that. If
I tell PMMail to fetch all messages up to a specified limit, it will do
that. What is being requested is the ability to change your mind /after/
the fact. At least one user wanted the function to include uploading
messages when the size of the message is already known. I don't miss this
function now. I doubt I would ever use it. It  would annoy me if adding
the
function affected speed or created operational problems.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris