[pmmail-list] ~Re: Download progress meter?

Andreas Ludwig pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:26:37 +0100 (MEZ)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:38:04 -0800 (PST), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>How would you like to be informed that a message has been skipped? The

A message window (like the ones popping up when filters are applied) or
some notification in the status window.

>observant user will notice in the bottom status bar during a fetch cycle
>the current message number being retrieved followed by the total new
>messages (ie 1 of 10). At the close of the fetch cycle, the status
>indicates total messages retrieved. If this total does not equal total new
>messages then a message was skipped.

Well, if I'm staring at my eMail client all the time I _can_ recognise
the missing message. Usually PMMail checks mail in the background here
(while I'm having a look at odin.netlabs.org or some different www
sites that can be read only when being online), so I will not miss a
message for quite some time, if some poor soul (aka student ;-) sends
me a paper as huge word attachment, he will not get any answer soon...
No BIG problem, of course, but as we were discussing enhanced messages
in the status line, I thought it could be a nice and very easy to be
implemented feature.

>Using remote control once per day
>should be way more than sufficient to take care of large messages skipped.
>Of course, my last statement depends on your definition of large message.
>I automatically accept messages up to 30k.

It also depends, if you are online all the time or only once or twice a
day (like me) - checking your account once a day using remote control
defeats the purpose of 'normal' checking + filter for me.

>PMMail currently lets me automatically retrieve messages while I'm
>connected to my ISP up to a limit I specify and then lets me check the
>bigger messages when it is convenient for me. No software is idiot proof.

And no discussion either.
I'm just proposing features that make sense to me and could make PMMail
an even better mail client. If you have a different opinion, it's OK to
discuss the feature, before BSW spends its (obiviously very) scarce
resources on implementing it. But I'm not participating in discussions
like these to be taught how I 'must' use my applications, otherwise
being disqualified as an idiot.

Andreas

--

Andreas Ludwig
from the beautiful town of POTSDAM (Germany)