[pmmail-list] 2.2.2030 uploaded

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:43:06 +1100 (EDT)

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:42:55 +0100, xavier caballe wrote:

> Are people out
>there using commercial software under Linux, or they preffer to
>use the free ones? My impression is that only a few people, less
>than on the OS/2 world, will pay for the software they're going
>to use.

There are some utilities/apps that seem to be in areas where people will pay for an excellent product because
they need something better than is on offer at no fee.

Categories include:
Backup/Restore/Disaster recovery
Fax and associated telephony
Professional level IDE development systems / compilers
and others.

These are areas where the freebies are not really up to snuff. Email clients are certainly not good enough yet
and free ones will come as part of desktops etc. They may well be as threatining to PMM as the mailers that
come with OS/2 or winXX. At present there is no visible commercial fully featured emailer for Linux.

I want one and, if the quality was there, would promote it to my audiences/customers. As I don't get discounts
my promotions are certainly not prompted by reward prospects but happy customers come back to where the good
advice came from.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.