[pmmail-list] bug report for PMMail Pro 2.20.2030 with PGP

Robert Dahlem pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 02:01:15 +0100

Hi,

The web page states two things:

- PGP toolkit updated to v1.7.8
- FIXED: Messages with high ASCII characters are converted to QP before
  being encrypted. This ruins the decryption of the message.

Well, these statements seem to be simply false.

This is what the beta produces ("-" overwritten with "="):
=quote on===============================================================
(5.0.2195;1)
[...]

=====BEGIN PGP MESSAGE=====
Version: PGPsdk version 1.7.1 (C) 1997-1999 Network Associates, Inc. and
its affiliated companies.
=quote off==============================================================

No trace of any PKP toolkit 1.7.8

I'm not astonished that people are complaining here about ununsable PGP
version 7 ...

What the beta produces when using diacriticals (i.e. character a with "
on top) is still party undecryptable in Outlook Express and even in
PMMail itself, depending on the setting of quoted-printable/8bit in
PMMail, Properties, Encoding format

When viewed with PMMail 2.10.2010:
from 2.10.2010, QP : OK
from 2.10.2010, 8b : decryptable, but diacriticals converted to =nn=
from 2.20.2030, QP : ascii armor input incomplete
                     (but is displayed correctly nevertheless)
from 2.20.2030, 8b : ascii armor input incomplete

When viewed with Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400:
from 2.10.2010, QP : corrupt data
from 2.10.2010, 8b : decryptable, but diacriticals converted to =nn=
from 2.20.2030, QP : OK
from 2.20.2030, 8b : ascii armor input incomplete

Would you guys PLEASE consider trying something like a regression test
before throwing betas on the market? :-(

Yet another point: I tried to reinstall 2.10.2010 over the beta. What it
came up with was still 2.20.2030. I had to rename PMMAILW.EXE and to
reinstall. Now: Are there still beta DLLs around on my system?

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem@gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.