[pmmail-list] PMMail/2 cannot read Hotmail mail properly

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:14:25 +0100 (MEZ)

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:44:55 -0500 (EST), Samuel Audet wrote:

> So I believe PMMail/2 should be equipped with a default
> Content-Transfer-Encoding of 8 bit (it doesn't have any drawback)

   let me say this: if there is a header informing about a
ISO-8859-Variant or another 8-bit-character set as the character set
of the message body, then this characters set should be used, and not
IBM Code Page 437.

   PMMail _does_ use 8-Bit-encoding, but it disregards the specified
charset and uses the current codepage, unless a specific
transfer-encoding is specified. But the decisive distinction is not
the transfer encoding, but the charset. I see this as a bug.

>     and a
> default Content-Type charset of ISO-8859-1 (or should make a setting
> for it)..

  I doubt that this is conformant with RFC-822 and other RFCs
building on it, maybe the MIME specs say differently. Correct would
be assuming a 7-bit charset, like US-ASCII. But assuming Latin-1 is
certainly more correct than assuming the current IBM code page of my
OS/2 installation as default charset.

  Anyway, this is what I wrote a short time ago:

---------
   this is using PMMail for OS/2 ver 2.10.2010

   a) 8-bit-characters are not correctly displayed when Charset is
given as ISO-8859-1, but there is no content-transfer-encoding
configured;

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main