[pmmail-list] PMMail/2 cannot read Hotmail mail properly

Samuel Audet pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:54:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:14:25 +0100 (MEZ), Lueko Willms wrote:

>   let me say this: if there is a header informing about a
>ISO-8859-Variant or another 8-bit-character set as the character set
>of the message body, then this characters set should be used, and not
>IBM Code Page 437.
>
>   PMMail _does_ use 8-Bit-encoding, but it disregards the specified
>charset and uses the current codepage, unless a specific
>transfer-encoding is specified. But the decisive distinction is not
>the transfer encoding, but the charset. I see this as a bug.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but when transfer encoding of 8 bit
is added to the header everything works fine.  So if the default
encoding is set to 8 bit in PMMail/2 code, everything is going to work
fine, with no suprise bugs appearing... :)

>  I doubt that this is conformant with RFC-822 and other RFCs
>building on it, maybe the MIME specs say differently. Correct would
>be assuming a 7-bit charset, like US-ASCII. But assuming Latin-1 is
>certainly more correct than assuming the current IBM code page of my
>OS/2 installation as default charset.

that's for sure...

--
Samuel Audet <guardia@cam.org>