[pmmail-list] sick of 2.20.2030 - where are the real important features?

Stefan Kirch pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:21:13 +0100

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:21:31 +0100 (MEZ), Lueko Willms wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:36:47 +0100, Stefan Kirch wrote:
>

>1. On encrypting as standard procedure or configuring it in the
>address book:

[snip]

>  I don't see an option to "Encrypt every message". But, I have to
>admit, that I did not yet use the built-in PGP functionality of
>PMMail, neither on OS/2 nor on Windows.

Argh - you're right. The option is only "Sign every outgoing message".
But because I don't have a key for every recipient, it also wouldn't
be very helpful to have such an option. It would be greate to
have "Encrypt every outgoing message, if recipient has a pgp-key"-option

>> BTW: I don't think, that this is a feature, hard to implement. Only
>> simulate a mouse-click, and I know a lot of pmmail-users, who also
>> prefer this option.
>
>   I'm not sure of you want to say, and I guess English is not your
>primary language.

Aiii - shame on me. Yes, I'm better in Delphi as in english ;-)

>   Anyway, it is not too difficult to implement a scenario where
>every e-mail is encrypted when a key for the recipient is found in
>the PGP key ring. I wrote such a software to be used as a Send Exit
>some years ago. The original PMMail developers know PGPREXX, and
>other old-time OS/2 PMMail users probably, too.
>
>    As to the address book -- in the Windows (Pro) version, I see for
>every entry in the address book a page with security information. In
>my address book, this is always empty. But isn't this the place where
>the wishes of Stefan Kirch are already implemented?

On the security-page, there is only an option "Enabled" and a button
"Sign Key" if you have a key for this address. That's all :(

>2. Relational table Address-book-entry/Signature

>> Don't you have a "personal" and a "official" signature? Isn't it
>> precarious to send a business contact "Hugs ..." ?!?
>
>   I think it would be a nice to have thing.
>

>3. Fetching only from configured POP3-Servers

>> >Then it wouldn't be "Fetch all" - would it? It would be fetch some.
>> >Explain the significant benefit gained in fetching only some accounts
>> >since it will most likely increase program response time.
>>
>> Strange reply. I'm really confused about the way, you reply to
>> my email.
>> Isn't it imaginable, that you have some accounts only for sending
>> email (e.g. as postmaster of a server or something like that) and
>> you don't have a pop-acount for? Wouldn't it be more clever
>> to fetach only these acount's where there are settings for
>> pop-user and server?!?
>
>   This is something else than what I understood from your previous
>e-mail with your suggestions.
>
>   I think it should be obvious not to try and fetch messages for an
>account which doesnt have a POP3-server configured.
>
>   But your previous mail made me believe that you want to have a
>"fetch some" key between the ALT-F2 and F2 for a single account. This
>would not make sense to me. You can as well hit the F2 key for all
>those accounts you want to fetch mail for instead of first stepping
>thru all accounts, selecting those to be fetched, and then hitting
>one key to start these actions.

As you mentioned before "english is not my primary language" ;-)
I mean, "fetch all" should only fetch those accounts, you entered
pop3-informations or there should be an option "Exclude from fetch all"
in the account-properties.

  Steff