[pmmail-list] patch to fix codepage issues in OS/2

Samuel Audet pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:45:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:37:47 +0100 (MET), Frank Winkler - Sun Germany
REOS - Munich wrote:

> >Well instead of just complaing about it, and waiting for the three
> >fixes that might never come from BSW, I just coded (yet another) patch
> >to fix the problems... it's a filter that executes on whatever mail
> >you want that needs fixing so that it can be properly read by
> >PMMail/2. Only God knows why coded this in C, anyway it makes it run
> >fast at least.
> >
> >http://www.cam.org/~guardia/archives/fixpmmcp.zip
>
>What exactly does this patch do?

It checks headers (main header and part headers) for "content-type"
with missing charset or with a charset containing "windows" and patches
a "content-type" with charset=iso-8859-1.  It also checks for
"content-transfer-encoding" and if none is found, it puts
"content-transfer-endoing: 8bit".  That fixes the most important
problems with PMMail and charset.  It's still not automatic or instant
(PMMail is slow at launching a filter executable), but it's better than
hand editing...

--
Samuel Audet <guardia@cam.org>
http://www.cam.org/~guardia/