[pmmail-list] question about accounts

Bruce Francis pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:39:00 +0200, Stefan Kirch wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:27:58 +0200 (CDT), Oliver Ebert wrote:
>>>Unfortunately not! We are begging for such a filter since ages.
>>That's strange. I have created filters to move incoming mails to
>>different "inboxes" e.g. all mails from user "xyz" will be moved to the
>>"inbox" "xyz".
>
>How did you do that? In the "Action area" of the filter-settings, there
>are only the folders of the current accout if you select "Move messages".
>So, how should it be possible, to select "inbox" of a different account?

It is VERY possible ... I have filters that do this many times/day,
   as I gather email from one account and distribute it according to
   filters to a couple dozen other accounts in PMMail/2.

I wish we had a searchable archive of this email list (Jimmy, Trevor)
as I've written this message many times.  You'll need to read this,
then implement the algorithm in the *opposite* direction; the real
"trick" here is to set the account you want to gather the email into
to fetch by "SMTP" and specify a unique directory on the disk.  An
external batch file merely copies the email message over to the SMTP
directory for the other account.  Simple.  Works.  Don't have to all
hold our breaths waiting for BSW to release some new fix.....  I gave
up on holding mine many months ago.
  Here is a message that I wrote on Oct-30-2000:

======= Original message to BSW maillist on October 30, 2000 5:05:49PM =====
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:44:19 +0100 (MEZ), Manfred Usselmann wrote:

>>>How do I achieve this with different accouts? Even if it would be
>>
>>This *is* not only possible, but I do it all the time.  I have about two
>>dozen "accounts" like this (where I webmaster, get email addressed
>
>Thanks. Using a folder of one account as incoming SMTP path for another
>account is a good idea.
>Though it is not very easy for the average user. It can be a little bit
>difficult to identify the correct path name. The biggest problem is that
>it is not very obvious. A lot of people simply will not find this
>solution.  And it seems not to be possible to collect mails from more
>than one account because you can specify only one smtp path.

No, you're still missing the details.  You *can* have more than one account,
and you can have multiple paths.  I know -- I have over 2 dozen of them
(haven't counted them lately).

Details:
1) For each new account create a new, separate, inbound mail folder/directory.
   (I have mine grouped under   x:\tcpip\smtpmail
   such as x:\tcpip\smtpmail\sportline   and    x:\tcpip\smtpmail\heatpump  ... etc)
2) Set up a new account in PMMail.   In this example assume it to be Sportline.
3) Under   Account|Settings|Receive in Sportline account, set the "Type" to SMTP,
  and the path to       x:\tcpip\smtpmail\sportline
4) In your main account (the one for your ISP, that you normally receive all of
  your mail into), create a new filter "Sportline":
       Filter:   h.to="@sportline" | h.cc="@sportline"
             [I'm getting email forwarded to me addressed to "Sportline_xyz.com", and
             this is my use.  You might want to set your filter up differently, depending
             on what you're using it for.]
       Action: User-hook (background)      Sportline.CMD
                  Inform User      (you might want to do this, or not)
                  Delete message (local copy)
                  Stop filtering
5) Create   Sportline.CMD
================ Sportline.CMD =============================
/* REXX command used w/PMMail to route inbound mail to specific SMTP directory */

ARG EmailFile
"Copy " EmailFile "x:\tcpip\smtpmail\Sportline\"
Exit
============= end of Sportline.CMD ===========================

6) repeat this procedure for each of the accounts you want to setup.

This process uses filters to automatically (and without intervention)
move messages between accounts.   Trevor mentioned earlier that one should
use Accounts for "Personalities", and this is a very, very easy way to do it.
You can set up a PMMail Account for each of these "Personalities" and
then read and reply to email from those "Personalities".   (I use it to supervise
the website work that I do, to keep all of the sites filed individually into
Account folders, and to use the "Personalities" to reply to the mail for
each of those site.)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

---
Bruce Francis              BFrancis@pobox.com
 For PGP Public key:  email with Subject "BFrancis Public Key"