[pmmail-list] Stupid PGP question(s)

Andrew Webber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:20:18 -0400

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 09:19:50 -0300 (ADT), PMMail OS/2 Support
wrote:

>I think what Stefan meant to say is that we here on the
>PMMail list are not the ultimate experts on PGP so you
>will probably get better answers on a PGP mailing list.

Thanks, Trevor!  Let me try to phrase this in a way that will get a
civil answer (Stefan, don't even bother).

I created my keys with PMMail Pro and they work fine on my
notebook.

But now I sometimes have to read enrypted mail through my ISP's web
interface, either because I don't have my notebook with me, or
because I want to see if the message is important enough to
download right away.  I thought it would be easy enough to recreate
the keys using the regular system tray PGP application I
downloaded, but the key that results does not decrypt those
messages.

I think all I need to do is copy my keyrings to a floppy, and point
to that, but that got me to thinking that even on my notebook
running PMMail, in case of a HD failure, I'm relying on a single
backup floppy, which I might or might not have with me, which might
or might not be okay, and I should probably make lots of copies,
and carry them with me, and not keep them all in one place.

If I install PMMail on another system, should I be able to recreate
the same private key if I've lost it (but I know the passphrase)?

Or do I _have_ to have secring.pkr?

If I install PGP outside PMMail on another machine, should I be
able to recreate the same private key, or will the same passphrase
always produce a different private key?

Thanks!
andrew

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]

...re-addicted to DC since 2001-06-10.
------
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
current local weather:
www.cnn.com/WEATHER/ce/Ontario/OttawaYOW.html