[pmmail-list] PMMail message archiving <#@$%>

Randy Fowler pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:59:38 -0400 (EDT)

(Sorry for cross-posting this msg here and over in the pmmail-list, but I
wanted to seek also guidance from those using PMMail but don't subscribe to
that list.)

Well OK, I know it was a dumb thing to do, but I let my eComStation
folder grow past 16K messages, which apparently PMMail/2 (2.20.2300)
didn't like. <g>  So over the weekend, I was finally forced to try
the two PMMail message archiving utilities that I'm aware of, POFAMU
and PMMail Archiver, with which I have been fairly unsuccessful.

Getting past all the boring details about how I first backed PMMail
up, RTFMs and then tried just about everything with the two
utilities, here's what I ended up doing, which required a lot of
manual work:

   o  Using Info-Zip's Zip, I manually moved the old messages out
using its -tt date selection option.

   o  Since all of my many attempts to reindex with both utilities
failed, I manually deleted all of the FOLDER.BAG files (with a Sweep
util) and then used PMMail to reindex each folder.

   o  Using FM/2 to assist me, I manually edited each folder's
FOLDER.INI file to change the last field to a zero, in order to reset
the UnRead Msg count to None.

So far it appears that I'm back in the saddle again.  Now I'd like to
know if anyone has either of these two utilities working with a
recent version of PMMail/2?  Or have things changed too much with
PMMail since they were published... rendering the re-index features
unusable??

Randy