[pmmail-list] Stupid PGP question(s)

Andrew Webber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:29:06 -0400

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:18:31 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>If you need to store copies of your keys for routine use
>on multiple machines, you have to accept that the chances
>of someone stealing your keyrings goes up since you
>probably aren't physically guarding both machines at once.
>Remember though that once they steal your keyring/private
>key, they still need to "crack"* your passphrase to
>decrypt and start using your private key.

What I did on the machine in the office is change the path to the
keyrings (using the PGP system-tray tool) so they pointed to A:.
That way they can take the machine away if they want and my keys
don't go with it.  There are no encrypted files on the machine
either, I just wanted to be able to read emails through the ISP's
web interface.

I realize there are probably security holes here too, but at least
I know that my private key(s) are not in the hands of anyone else.

Thanks again for the excellent explanation!

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]

...re-addicted to DC since 2001-06-10.
------
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
current local weather:
www.cnn.com/WEATHER/ce/Ontario/OttawaYOW.html