[pmmail-list] Complex filter for virus update

Jon Etkins pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:28:20 -0500

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:22:30 -0500, Dave Hathaway wrote:

>I doubt the virus detectors will find the virus on an email attachment,
>since it will be UU or MIME encoded.  But if you save it to disk, it
>will probably be found.  McAfee didn't detect the virus until I
>actually created the file on the disk by saving it.  Transmitting a
>virus doesn't harm your system, but running it does. :)

Apparently Norton's incoming email scanner cannot detect Sircam in incoming mail, but the background protection engine will detect it if you are silly enough to try to run or detach the attachment.  I raised this with Symantec, and their response can be found at http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/displayArticle.cgi?product=nav&mini_version=nav2001&tpre=sg&article=<1010626044518.3438313936@servicenews.symantec.com>&group=symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus2001.general

Symantec seems to think this is acceptable; I think it's shoddy - they should get a program update out to handle the "non-standard" MIME.