[pmmail-list] PMMail New Features List

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 07:26:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:30:17 -0500, Michael Lueck wrote:

>I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that seems to think that BSW is
>trying to pull the wool over all of our eyes.

<snip>

Yeah ... this REALLY worries me ... especially for the OS2 version ...
Maybe my needs in a email client is different from the norm but I find PMMail to be a EXCELLENT email package !!!

I'm forced to use Outlook at the firm I work at and it's truly bloated and just plain too much ...
It's only saving grace (IMO) is its ability to allow for editting the "Subject" line and the body of existing emails ... which I find to be very nice for
notating for my own understanding what the email is about ... Some people don't use the Subject line properly IMO ... to give myself the same
ability in PMMail I have to forward the mail back to myself ... which is way too much work to do ...

As for BSW ... I've dealt with Tom Bradford for years and bought most of my OS2 software from BMT Micro ...
Tom was EXTREMELY helpful to me in tracking down a copy of Sibyl/2 from Mensys ... and he barely marked it up since he was acting as a
middle-man ... which I thought was way generous of him ... For that simple business transaction I very much respect the man ...

With that said ... I hope he "rolls" the dice just one more time for eCS ... if eCS tanks in the marketplace, then I wouldn't blame him at all for
stopping ALL developement of PMMail for OS2 ... which in some ways appears to be what's happening NOW with PMMail ... as an aside that's
why I'm so disappointed with Brad Wardell's decision to stop all selling of StarDock's OS2 software ... Bob St. John has said that Brad is very
supportive of eCS but I don't understand how that is ... unless of course he has plans to "restart" the OS2 business should eCS really take off in
the corporate environment ... which from what I understood was always StarDock's strong suite ...

Anyway, IMO the single biggest feature that PMMail/2 needs is support for HTML/RTF ...

I know we have hashed this out and had flame wars over it on this and Steve's list ... but IMO when users come over to eCS from the windows
world they are going to expect to have support for HTML and RTF in their email client ... and to NOT have it in PMMail/2 is going to completely
kill its opportunity to sell copies to new eCS users - both the single enduser and in the corporate sector ... Personally, I'm not crazy about HTML
and RTF in an email client but IMO I have to accept a compromise on this issue since the rest of the world (the 95% that use some flavor of
windows) does seem to like it ... whether it's ignorance on their part, or not, is completely illrelevent IMO ...

Here's hoping that PMMail/2 is still TRULY being actively developed ...

Greg