[pmmail-list] PMMail for Win2000 & OS/2

David Forrester pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:51:35 +1100 (EDT)

I've been sharing my mail between OS/2 and Windows for a couple of
years.  I've done it in several ways:

- Across the network with OS/2 and a Win95 desktop.  Both versions of
PMMail were installed into the same networked drive pointing at the
mail folders in the same directory.

- On a laptop with OS/2 and Win95.  PMMail was installed in a FAT32
partition that was seen by both operating systems.  Each OS ran their
own version pointing to the same mail folders.

- By copying across the network from the desktop to the laptop.  The
mail would be received on the desktop (either machine mentioned above)
and I'd copy the mail folders over to the laptop to read on the bus
going to work.  In the evening, I'd mark as read all the mail using
one of the desktops.  I'm still doing this, but in the other direction
as a backup mechanism.

- New laptop with OS/2 and Win2000.  Otherwise, it's setup the same as
the old laptop, but I handle all my mail here as well.  At least once a
week I copy it back to the desktop for backup purposes.

I've never had any problems with this so long as I stuck by one rule:
- NEVER open two copies of PMMail pointing at the same mail folders at
the same time.

This is easy to handle on the laptop, but on the networked desktops,
we've managed to have both open at the same time.  Luckily it's not
catastrophic, simply close both copies and open another (after swearing
a bit when all your mail disappears and then yelling at the other
person when you realise they've done).

When I am copying the mail folders between machines, I always make sure
PMMail is closed on both.  And I am copying the complete mail folder
for an account.  The only thing I don't copy is the acct.ini file for
the account.  This stores details like whether to fetch when the
account is opened.   And I only want this done from one machine.  When
you copy like this, you do not need to re-index the account.

Lastly, to speed up the copy, I use a Windows program called InSync
from www.dillobits.com.  I have this set to only copy the changed
files.  Cuts the copy time down by a lot.  I do this from the Windows
desktop as I've never found a decent OS/2 program to do this.

David Forrester

--
David Forrester
davidfor@terrigal.net.au