[pmmail-list] Eudora+PGP [was: PGP: compatibility with v6.5.8?]

Andrew Webber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:28:09 -0400

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:20:58 +0200, xavier caballe wrote:

>>>4. ?...
>>Anybody?  (PGP plug-in for Eudora)
>
>It's fully integrated (from my personal point of view, the
>Eudora/PGP integration is much better than the one provided
>by PMMail).

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm surprised you find it so integrated,
I found it the exact opposite!  Here's why (I'm not being
argumentative, I hope to learn more about the Eudora plug-in.  Is
there documentation for the plug-in?

The Eudora is v5.1, advertising-supported.  We installed PGP last
night.  The plug-in was pre-selected automatically and we installed
it.  Build a key-pair and so on.

It works fine but with the following concerns (this is based on
minimal testing, so I hope we're missing something):

1. It doesn't seem as smoothly integrated as PMMail, for instance
there's no Encrypt button on the buttonbar (there's a Decrypt
button though).  Of course there's a menu item but it's pretty
buried.

2. We open an encrypted email and reply to it.  We're prompted
whether to save the changes (presumably the decryption).

3. When sending an encrypted email, PMMail puts a copy in the
outbox, using the recipient's public key, and a copy in sent mail,
using the sender's public key.  Eudora just leaves it in Out,
encrypted with the recipient's key.  Of course this is a function
of how Eudora works, and the best solution we can think of is to cc
(or bc) the sender.  But this means the encrypted sent mail is
being handled differently than any others.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]

...Aspartame free since 2001-01-19.
------
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject
current local weather:
www.cnn.com/WEATHER/ce/Ontario/OttawaYOW.html