[pmmail-list] Communication - Confirmation that BSW gets our bug reports

Manfred Usselmann pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:21:22 +0200

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:33:35 -0400, Michael Lueck wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:03:40 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:
>
>>From reading your report, you
>>are complaining about the ".." directory, which is an operating systems
>>symbol for the parent directory.
>
>Nope, at least on WinNT and Win2K, they REALLY make a folder on the hard drive
>called ".." - look in Windows Explorer under where you have PMMail installed.

I can't imagine how it should be possible to create a folder with the name '..'.

'.' and '..' are reserved by the operating system to allow to specify relative pathnames.

E.g. x:\mypath\pmmail\..\tools  is identical to  x:\mypath\tools. If x:\mypath\pmmail is the current directory
..\tools would also point to x:\mypath\tools.

But I agree that it is strange that the Windows Explorer shows the .. entry. On my NT system it does
not.

Manfred