[pmmail-list] Communication - Confirmation that BSW gets our bug reports

Mike Kilroy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 06:28:59 -0400

windows commander shows the .. also at the top of each subdirectory -
it is there to just show that clicking on it takes you back up one
directory level toward the root.  It of course is not a directory
name, just a easy way to reference the parent directory.

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:21:22 +0200, Manfred Usselmann wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:33:35 -0400, Michael Lueck wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:03:40 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:
>>
>>>From reading your report, you
>>>are complaining about the ".." directory, which is an operating systems
>>>symbol for the parent directory.
>>
>>Nope, at least on WinNT and Win2K, they REALLY make a folder on the hard drive
>>called ".." - look in Windows Explorer under where you have PMMail installed.
>
>I can't imagine how it should be possible to create a folder with the name '..'.
>
>'.' and '..' are reserved by the operating system to allow to specify relative pathnames.
>
>E.g. x:\mypath\pmmail\..\tools  is identical to  x:\mypath\tools. If x:\mypath\pmmail is the current directory
>..\tools would also point to x:\mypath\tools.
>
>But I agree that it is strange that the Windows Explorer shows the .. entry. On my NT system it does
>not.
>
>Manfred
>

>--

Mike, AC8V