[pmmail-list] Linux

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:36:49

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:36:24 -0700 (MST), John Drabik wrote:

>You would not be able to charge for the code enhancements, if it is
>derived from or attached to GPL code.

No, that's not correct. The GPL has always allowed that a charge be
made, the only requirement is that source must be provided with the
software. The 'free' refers to speech, not to beer. Agreed that not
many companies do this, but it could be viable if the quality of the
code is good. It might upset some Linux users, but they don't have to
buy it, people are free to pay if they believe that it will provide
them with something that meets their needs.

Once released in this way, the client can then be further modified by
others. I like this because it provides a hedge against BSW failing to
deliver. I can't be sure they will even after two betas, some of the
features in PMMail that I feel *must* work, like proper PGP integration
with control over usage of multiple keys, simply do not and there is as
yet no change in the betas regarding this.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?
                                      'Even Deeper' by Nine Inch Nails